Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Attraction of Distraction

I can be easily distracted.  In fact, I find distraction sometimes an attractive alternative to routine.  I can't say I'm an expert at multi-tasking, but I do enjoy a good exercise in juggling every so often.  I am aware of this fetish, if you will, with being distracted.  I like the challenge of trying to keep track of lots and lots of things.  Maybe that's why my wife and I ended up with 4 kids?  Of course, biology had something to do with that, as well; however, at the end of the day, when all the kids are tucked in bed sleeping, all the things are checked off the mental checklist in my head, and I can think back on all my wife and I accomplished just to "get through the day", I'd be lying if I said there wasn't just a little bit of pride. 
I also know distractions play a role in what we deem important.  Personal distractions like going out with friends, playing sports, coaching, etc...are things we might not view as negative activities.  It's the "me time" we all need to re-energize and re-focus.  But how much of that is truly unnecessary?  How much of that takes away from times we could and should be giving back to God?  Do I chose to be distracted by these things instead of participating in a week night Bible Study?  Do I allow my self to say "yes" to coaching when I know I will then end up missing many Sunday services or Wednesday services during Lent of Advent?  Do I commit  half-heartedly as a volunteer to a small local missions group yet knowing that if something better and "more entertaining" comes along I plead ignorance to my prior commitment or simply say "I can't help any longer"?   Do I choose to spend my time watching my favorite TV show rather than picking a chapter or two in one of the many books of the Bible and just reading it over and meditating about it?  I know I am guilty of several of these things.  It's hard to break the routine of distraction and re-vamp my life so that I place a greater importance on God-things rather than human-things. 
Are you financially distracted?  I've come a long way in this department, but I still find myself throwing money at things that are basically distractions.  The money I have isn't really mine.  it belongs to God.  He has blessed me with it; yet, I continue to not hesitate giving that money away in exchange for a few coffees a week, a car wash here and there, fast food, Shamrock Shakes, fantasy football, wings, and other stupid things that I really don't need.  I actually have a budget that I stick to pretty consistently; but, routine breeds boredom, it seems, and every so often  I allow myself to get distracted and throw money away. 
Distractions are a perfect blend of fun and frenzy.  We can get addicted to a the distractive way of life.  And they are everywhere!  We find them on the TV.  On our "smart phones.  On the radio.  When we are on the sidelines of our kids' sporting events.  On the billboards along the side of the roads we drive on.  We have become so use to distractions that in some way they are becoming routine.  Like that saying, "the only thing that is consistent about me is that I'm inconsistent."  The play on words becomes the new reality.  And before we know it, we start priding ourselves on our ability to multi-task and manage distractions in a very efficient way.  It becomes a badge of honor among parents to brag how involved their kids are in 18 hundred different things.  We throw bumper stickers on our cars to show the world how many places we've gone and what we can throw our money at.  We post on Facebook all the little triumphs and conquests and accomplishments, even if it's what we simply consumed for breakfast or bought at the store, and post it to prove we are busy, we are managing, we are succeeding, we are the masters of distraction.  We wear our race shirts and vacation shirts and our souvenir hats to showcase our achievements.  We are very good at advertising our own amazing ability to deal with distractions.
But is that a good thing?   if it is; if we are so good at it; if it's something we thrive on....
then why is the sound of silence so refreshing?
why do find ourselves wishing to "get away"?
why do so many of us wish things were "like they were in the old days"?
why is the quiet awakening of a summer morning so soothing?
why does the sound of crickets chirping at twilight elicit such a sense of calm?
why is the simply beauty of a crackling fire on a fall evening so alluring to us?

To me, I think God uses those moments to bring us back.  To collect what is His and wrap us in those calm, serene arms of His and simply sooth us with the reassurance that we are just perfect to Him the way we are.  He doesn't care about bumper stickers or bowling trophies.  He could care less how many things we can fit into each day.  If you run a marathon or simply take a quiet walk through a park, it's all the same to Him.  You get no trophies in Heaven for your ability to multi-task your way through this life.  God simply loves you.  He wants to be your only distraction.  He wants your time and attention and focus.  He is jealous for it. 
If we can all just get distracted from our distractions for a while...replace the routine of always trying to do everything with just allowing God to move in and through you to where He wants you to be, maybe we can accomplish more than we are accomplishing now.  We could love more.  give more.  care more.  pray more.  reflect more.  laugh more.  be more thankful. maybe...just maybe, we could be more. 

I love this song by Toby Mac...sorta sums up the feeling of a distraction-free life....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldXVmKvUExw




No comments:

Post a Comment